Saturday, May 21, 2011

Natura Imaginalis

This painting has taken me on an inward journey of the imagination. I have played with the colors, texture, paint, forms endlessly changing and flowing into different solutions. I finally started to carve into the wood to create the lines on the tree trunks which added the final element that I was searching for. Allowing imagination to flow through the forest leaves and blow against the ancient rocks is a magnificent journey of heart and soul. Painting can be like a series of gateways that one explores and feels from within, always pushing up against the unknown, digging from the unconscious and allowing that which surfaces to become color, light, texture and form. Often what emerges is confusing, unclear, sometimes frightening. A huge amount of trust and energy is needed to continue and not quit or give up on the piece. I feel shifts happen within that are beyond verbal expression but a deep satisfied sigh is released when the painting looks back at me and declares that it is finished. My imagination has carried me to where I need to be in this moment and I will let it wander afresh through the hills and forests seeking new adventures.

6 comments:

a.q.s. said...

Holly! this is exquisite! The colors and texture are from a dream but without making one (me) feel it is not 'here'....a feeling of it is quite possibly experienced now if you so dare to go 'here'...

i like the richness of the golden and rust shades and the stones still have a story since you know how to breathe life into stones.

i knew you had to be working on a piece that was something, well, this is something indeed.

a joy.

annie

p.s.
yet it also invokes for me the feeling of some kind of wilderness too...but without fear....

can stare at it for a long time and still get lost without feeling lost.

365 Attempts (At Life) said...

it's absolutely beautiful! Well done.

Jo-Ann Dziubek-MacDonald said...

Wow, stunning work! I loved reading about your journey through this painting.

Unknown said...

Your painting is breathtaking. I am so in love with it. Bravo

Holly Friesen said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I appreciate the feedback!

Anonymous said...

What you said is inspiring and comforting. . .thank!!!

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...