Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Heart Stopping Beauty on Hwy 99

 Spent the day cooking, walking and talking with my eldest girl. Left her behind with a few tears this morning. I have always loved how effortlessly Amy and I can flow together no matter how long we are apart from each other.

Spent our last evening walking in the golden light of the remarkable landscape of Kamloops. The dry climate allows for a remarkable range of dusty colors from ochres to rose to sagebrush greens. I could paint the textures and colors here for a long time.


 

Amy sent me to Whistler via Hwy 99, also known as the Lillooet Hwy. What a drive!
The most beautiful vistas and views so far! But first as I exited Kamloops on the Trans Canada I came across Kootenay Lake, utterly magnificent with the shifting shadows and light of the breaking clouds.
 


 A bit further down the road I turned onto Hwy 99 and was given one last taste of that delicious palette of blonde grasses and pink brush, made all the more intense by the brooding dark skies.



 Now I started to really enter the "Rockies". I was happy that it wasn't snowing or raining today as this is not a road for the faint of heart. Some serious hair pin turns and deep canyons looking down into the Fraser River. Unfortunately there wasn't much place to pull over and take photos of this incredible canyon.



 


 Many, many views of lakes, rivers, and creeks along the way. Not much traffic at all and every time I stopped to take a few photos I was greeted with complete silence or rushing water.




 
Just before arriving in Pembroke I came across this beauty. A jewel of a lake, quiet and majestic just sitting there in all her majesty. I stopped and sat beside her for quite some time. The silence was deafening.



 This whole drive was so full of heart stopping beauty that I gave up taking pictures after a while as it was impossible to convey it all. This gives a small sampling of that drive but nothing even comes close to the real experience of it. Amy described it best when she said that it is "one of her favorite stretches of earth". Mine too.














7 comments:

Luna said...

totally awesome Holly... thanks for taking us with you :~)

Detlef Cordes said...

Wonderful words and pictures! I enjoyed this post very much.

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful. Canada through the eyes of an artist, nothing quite like it!

Nik said...

wow - I am still tripping from the beauty of it all.
Love Jack's quote . . .
Nik
www.nickegorney.com

Holly Friesen said...

Thanks to all of you for "road tripping" with me. Today I get to see the coastline!

Maureen said...

Such gorgeous country you've been traversing. Hope one day to see it, too. I have a friend in Calgary and a few others elsewhere in Canada.

Continue safely.

Holly Friesen said...

Maureen, you would love it! Calgary is well located to explore some of this magnificence! Thanks for following along, fun to know you are there!

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...